Hey there! Today I want to share a recipe that Matt and I tried recently for dinner! We’ve been looking at easy to make recipes that don’t require too much prep since we have a small kitchen. We enjoy Mexican food and found this recipe that we really wanted to try! It didn’t take long at all and we were able to make it when Matt got home from work!
This recipe is easy to make and the directions are clear and straightforward. We had fun making it, even though we had some technical difficulties. We misunderstood step #2 and didn’t do the meat while the cornbread was cooking, we did it while it was cooling.
Overall, it was still a really yummy recipe and definitely something we’re going to put in the rotation! It’s very easy and something anyone can make after work.
Did you try this recipe, or are you going to? Let me know in the comments below!
Print this recipe below!
Beef Tamale Pie
- 2 boxes corn bread mix (like Jiffy)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup creamed fiesta corn
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- kosher salt
- ground pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2/3 cup red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 1 cup sredded Monterey Jack
Preheat oven to 400°. Grease a 9 x 13 Pyrex dish with cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk together corn muffin mix, egg, sour cream, and creamed corn. Transfer to prepared skillet and bake until golden, 20 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion, cumin, and chili powder and season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft, 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more. Add ground beef and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Drain fat.
- Poke entire surface of cornbread with a fork and pour over enchilada sauce. Add beef and top with cheeses.
- Cover with foil and bake until cheese is melty, about 20 minutes. Switch oven to broil, remove foil, and broil until cheese turns golden, about 5 minutes.